Discover How To Build An Aquaponics System
Farming does not have to be a very difficult job. However, some people view farming as the hardest job around and are constantly trying to make it easier. This is when some people will think about an aquaponics system and how much easier these can make the work of a farmer, but also how much produce they can grow for themselves or their family. This is when people should know more about how to build an aquaponics system. By knowing how to do this, it will be easy for people to build a system on their own and know it is going to work for helping them in growing the produce they want to eat.
The first thing that you are going to need to do is start to gather all of your materials that you are going to need to set up your aquaponics system. These are usually very simple and can be found at almost all of the fish stores, but also at some of the garden centers as well. Here is a simple list of the items that you are going to need to have.
- A glass or plastic fish tank that does not have any leaks.
- You will need to get some gravel from a fish supply store, usually you will find 2.5 pounds of gravel for every 5 gallons of water is a good ratio.
- Just like when you have an aquarium you need to have a pump and the best one that you can get for your aquaponics system is one that is large enough to circulate 100 gallons per hour.
- Air pumps are another thing that you will need. With an aquaponics system you will need fish and they need air. So you should make sure you get the air pump that is large enough to circulate the air.
- Just like an aquarium you need to have an air stone as well. This way you can get the air pumped into the tank.
- Plastic tubing for the water pump and the air pump. This way you are going to be able to get the air circulated around and the water moved around as well.
- A grow bed that is measured for the tank and has at a minimum of three inches of growing medium on the top of the tank.
- Growing medium is something else that you are going to need to have. This way you can start to get your plants growing.
- Plants and fish is the final item you are going to need. That is because the fish are going to provide the nutrients that your plants are going to need to grow with.
Steps To Take:
The first thing that you need to do is anything that will be dealing with the fish, especially the gravel should be rinsed off completely. This way it will be easy for you to get all the excess debris that can hurt your plants and fish alike removed. After the gravel has been rinsed you will want to put this in the bottom of the tank. Then you can add in water to your tank as well.
After you have done this you will want to drill some holes in your growing bed. These holes are very important or you could have problems with the water being pumped up and out of your tank into the grow bed and flooding over. You may want to test this out as well to make sure it is draining the water fast enough to avoid having a messy counter. Something that is important is to make sure you have a hole that is large enough to feed your tubing through as well. If you forget this step it could be very difficult for you to get the water up to the grow bed.
After you have done this you will take the water pump and place it inside of the tank with the hose running up to the grow bed. You need to leave the water hose about an inch or so above the top of the grow bed, but also make sure you have enough to loop around the grow bed, with it being above the grow bed. When you have it looped around the grow bed you need to make sure you pinch off and tape off the end of your hose.
After you have it ran around and looped up you will want to drill small holes into the hose. This way it will have a sprinkler like effect on your plants that are in the hydroponics system. After the holes have been made in the hose, you will want to take and cover it with the medium you are using for the growing.
Hooking up the air pump and air stone is going to be the next step. You will put the air stone in the tank, but then you should plug in the air pump. Make sure you have bubbles coming out of the air stone.
Checking the pH of your tank and then making sure you check the flow of the tank. You will want to let the tank sit for at least a day before you add in any fish because they need to have water that is settled. You should wait several weeks before you start to add in the plants, but if you want to get the work done quickly you can add in some plants right away, but you should be slow in how you are adding in the plants.
When you are trying to produce your own food you will find it can be a major challenge. This is when you should know more about how to build your own aquaponics system. By knowing how to build this it will be easy for you to get the system built up and know it is going to work for your needs and provide you with all the food you need.
The post How to build a simple DIY auquaponics system appeared first on Build Your Own Aquaponics System - DIY Indoors Or Outdoors.